Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Something new is brewing in Monticello!

I am excited to report that we have a new bakery and coffee shop in Monticello. It's called "The Bake and Brew," and is owned by Lisa Baggett. Some of you may remember Lisa from the bakery she operated in town many years ago next to Hudson Pharmacy called "Sweet Sensations." Well, she's back and even better this time around. The shop is located at 448 W. Broad St., in the former Center Stage Video location next to Many Expressions.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect considering it was a video store. I was more than delighted on my first visit to find that she had transformed it into a quaint coffee shop. I was very impressed with the decor. Lisa has in the past operated an antique shop near her home. She has incorporated several antique pieces into the decor, which adds a nostalgic touch to the place.
Wall display with their slogan - "Come see us and leave a little sweeter..."

One of my favorite displays is a gigantic wooden shadowbox filled with white coffee cups. It's a really neat idea that reminds you of their gourmet coffee menu. She purchased the coffee equipment from our old snoball business, so I can vouch that it's authentic gourmet coffee and not a powder or the gas station kind. The coffee menu features espresso, lattes, cappuccino, mochas, cafe au lait, regular coffee, as well as the frozen frappes. My mother used to run the coffee business for us, so she knows what a good white chocolate mocha tastes like. She says hers was prepared to perfection the other day. That's great to hear since espresso drinks can be easily fouled up. I got my favorite sugar free caramel skinny decaf latte and it was just right as well. A barista once told me that what I order is called a "Why bother?" I love the taste of the coffee and would just rather spend my calories on the pastries.
Coffee cup display

The pastries are beautifully displayed in an antique glass display case, reminiscent of what you'd see in an old general store. The freshly baked offerings include scones, muffins, cinnamon rolls, sticky buns, cookies, slices of cake, and sometimes cupcakes and other sweets. The selection varies from day to day. My momma got a cinnamon roll, which I sampled, that was delicious. There is a microwave available for patrons to warm their selection, which is what she did to the cinnamon roll. My personal favorites are the scones. The flavor choices are white chocolate raspberry, apple, and blueberry. All are delicious and were moister than most scones I've had, which made me like them even more. My personal favorite is the white chocolate raspberry.
Pastry case

Also available by special order are assorted cakes, such as Coconut, German Chocolate, Carrot, Pound, and birthday cakes. Some days, she has mini cupcakes baked so you can get a sample of her cakes. On my first visit, I was given a sample of the carrot cake and it was yummy.

We are so fortunate to have this type business in town and I hope everyone will give her the support she needs to sustain. I know I'll do my share, even though it will wreak havoc on my diet. Maybe that latte cancels out the calories from the scone. I wish!

Oh yeah, hours are Tuesday - Saturday 7 a.m. - 2 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment